Friday, September 27, 2013

My homeschool week

Now that I'm getting into the learning groove, here's my system, in case you're wondering. I just sent this list to a friend. You can offer suggestions if you have any...but I'm honestly happy with what I've chosen to use. I also write a daily log of what we did.

Here's the list of curriculae that I'm using (Everything comes from The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise-Bauer and Jessie Wise)

1. History: History of the World by Jessie Wise
2.English: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise-Bauer
3. Saxon Math
4. Spelling Workout
5. Latin: Prima Latina
6. Reading (for Elliot...Dottie reads all the time, everything): Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
7. Science: Adventures with Atoms and Molecules
8. Handwriting Without Tears
9. Abacus for math with Elliot...I'm just teaching him how to write his numbers better and how to do basic addition...I plan on getting a book at some point, but I'm not sure what to get. The one book I ordered was too easy for him.This is working right now.

And then lots of supplemental easy history books from the library.

And here's what a typical week looks like for me. I have two full days and two lighter days:

 MW: Morning: Spelling Workout (Dottie), Math (Dottie), Afternoon: Prima Latina (Dottie) at the same time as Reading (Elliot), both do Handwriting without Tears, English (Dottie), Math (Elliot) at the same time as Dottie doing memory work (poetry). We usually go to the library on Wednesday.

TTh:  Morning: Spelling Workout (Dottie), Math (Dottie), History (Dottie) Afternoon: Prima Latina (Dottie) at the same time as Reading (Ellliot), both do Handwriting without Tears, English (Dottie), Math (Elliot) at the same time as Dottie doing memory work (poetry), Science (Dottie and Elliot). On Tuesday, we go to story hour, and the older kids are enrolled in a homeschool group science class, so that's what I count for science that day.

F: My gathering/shopping/cleaning day. We also do crafts or projects for history. I think I want to start incorporating a lesson about composers and artists. I've got some books on hold at the library. Joe is also still teaching them piano, usually on Saturday. They practice every day.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Awesome. I wish I had you as a teacher when I was growing up. Maybe I would have been smarter...

Roberta said...

What a fun week schedule! Thankful you are so strong and well this year! I'm going to ignore the comment Carolyn said about not being smart..You were are smart and very talented...I know because I was there!