Saturday, January 19, 2008

Welcome, Baby Boy (Elliot Isaac Hansen)

I FINALLY had our Baby Boy, Mr. Elliot Isaac Hansen! And the good news is I didn't have to be induced (well, not really). He came three days early, on Sunday January 13. I started having contractions last Sunday at 3:30 in the morning, although they were 20 minutes apart. So I took naps between contractions. As I got ready in the morning, they got progressively worse and closer together. We decided to walk around the mall to help things along (don't worry -- we weren't Sabbath breakers -- I just needed a warm place to walk). The contractions got to be 4-5 minutes apart. So I called the doctor, dropped Dottie off at Em's church, and got admitted. However, since I was sitting still for like an hour, my contractions slowed down considerably. I never was one to have consistent labor. The doctor had me walk around for an hour, and then he told me he'd give me petocin to help move things along. Bless the man.
So, I took the petocin, and then labor really started to kick in after about an hour or so. I got the epidural. At this point, I was at a 4. We started to watch "24" season 2, and I started to have real pain. After a few painful contractions, I called the nurse and told her the epidural wasn't working. She checked me, and I was at a 10! I went from a 4 to a 10 in a half hour. She rushed out of the room, and told me not to push. And boy, I was having the pushing sensation. I was having labor with all of the pain. So they located the doctor, and I pushed the baby out in 6 minutes and 5 contractions. It was such bad pain that I was strongly motivated to have it over with.
And there he was, our beautiful baby boy, born at 5:01 p.m. He is so beautiful! I think he's so well-formed because he came out so fast. His head is perfectly round. He was 7 pounds 8 oz. when he was born and 20 inches long. So I was enjoying life and our new baby boy, and then I started to have real pain, pain that turned into something worse than labor. I called the nurse, she gave me more drugs; it didn't even touch the pain. They moved me upstairs into my recovery room, and I then I tried to go to the bathroom. I was so swollen I couldn't go to the bathroom. The nurse who was helping me saw how swollen I was and said I had a hematoma. It's a deep internal bruise, basically. A blood vessel snapped and shut down several other blood vessels. I was so swollen, I had to lay on my side and clutch onto the bed for comfort. So, this nurse called the doctor to see if I could get some stronger drugs. They gave me a narcotic in an IV, and that helped a bit more. The doctor came in to see me and decided I needed surgery. So at 3:30 in the morning, I got a spinal block, the doctor located the vessel causing the problem, and drained the blood to stop the swelling.
I think this happened because I pushed the little guy out so fast, it just damaged my body. I wouldn't worry about this ever happening to you -- my doctor said he's only seen 4 hematomas in 14 years of delivering babies. I ended up staying in the hospital longer than normal, since I was still swollen, couldn't walk, and couldn't go to the bathroom. Finally, I went home on Wednesday evening. I still am sore, and the recovery will be a couple weeks longer than a normal labor recovery, but I'm feeling a lot better. I'm on four different drugs to help me out.
I was blessed with a very very good baby, however. He sleeps ALL THE TIME, morning, evening, and night. And he nurses well. Nursing and sleeping are his favorite things. He hardly ever cries. The only time he cries is when I change his diaper, because there were complications with his circumcision that required him to get stitches. So you can't blame him for crying. But I just love him. Little Elliot has the sweetest disposition. Dottie even likes him. At first she didn't know what to think -- I think she thought we had traded her in because she lived at Emily's house until Thursday morning. But now that she is home, she is very cute with him. My mom is here to help out, so there is always someone paying attention to her. We are so blessed. So blessed.

This is Elliot an hour after he was born. He and I are still in shock from the birthing process.


Me and my bebe.



Daddy and his boy.


These are pictures from today. Elliot looks like this most of the time -- sweetly asleep.


I think he has the Joe Hansen furrowed brow.


We had to make Dottie hold the baby -- she was watching "Hairspray" and cared more about that.

This is Elliot with his eyes slightly open.


My mom and the precious.


Me and my bebe. I lost my contacts somewhere in the hospital.



Emmy and baby.


Another one with eyes slightly open. The right eye opens better than the left.

12 comments:

Brandon and Natalie said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! You can tell he is Joe's son. I also had a hematoma after Hyrum's delivery...not fun at all. It sounds like you are on the mend. Congrats again on your adorable baby!

Heather said...

Wow! What a birth story. Glad to hear you're doing better. He is a beautiful newborn! Congrats! And as soon as I read his name, I honestly thought to myself,'What a perfect name!'

Jill said...

So,so, so cute! I'm glad that you're feeling better now and that nothing serious happened. Enjoy your baby--he's adorable.

Edwards Fam said...

Oh, my goodness! Charlotte, he is so cute. I love all the pictures! Good luck recovering--aren't moms the greatest to come help?!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

I can't believe what you went through Charlotte! I have been living vicariously through Emily's stories. I can't wait to see you Thursday night. Congratulations!!! Elliot is gorgeous!

howelltree said...

Yay!!!! Baby is here! Elliot is sooooo cute and I'm so glad he came a few days early:) He really does look perfect. I'm glad everything went so well, at least until you had to go to the bathroom. That's always an extremely scary thing to do after having a baby. I hadn't heard of the hemot???? thing that happened. I hope you are able to heal fast and enjoy your new little one.

It's so wonderful your mom is here now. Maybe I can make a trip down to see you guys soon. I love newborns! They are so perfect and fresh from heaven.

Wendy said...

many congratulations charky and joe! i'm glad that you are okay! what a beautiful baby boy! ! !

Wendy said...

many congratulations charky and joe! i'm glad that you are okay! what a beautiful baby boy! ! !

Merilee said...

Congratulations! He's so cute! I'm so glad that Dottie is doing well with him. I was so worried about Mikayla when I had Gwenyth.
We hope you are feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Love the pics and the updates! Glad to hear all went well. You look great Char,and baby is so adorable!

Shambonies said...

oh my gosh sorry i havent looked at your blog forever it wasnt even on my blogsite any more so i just added it back!! oh he is just so cute and has the most perfect lilttle round head! i will have to call you oh yay for you!!

Shannon said...

I had no idea you were even expecting another baby. I guess I need to keep better track of Becca's friends. :) Congrats- he's adorable, and Dottie is cute as ever and getting so big!!! Hope she's enjoying being a big sister and you're recovering well from the birth and having two kiddos now!