Thursday, October 16, 2008

No Gender Roles Here . . .


That's right. My baby boy is wearing a butterfly smock. And he's not happy about it. I don't know if the rest of you out there with baby boys have noticed, but there is a huge discrepancy in the amount of boys' clothing vs. girls' clothing at any store you go into. The ratio is usually 3 girl outfits for every 1 boy outfit. Also, baby boy clothes are usually butt-ugly. I mean, why does every retailer think I want my child plastered with footballs and soccer balls, with the inevtiable sports number somewhere, as if he were already some boneheaded jock?
I went to Babies R Us, which is supposedly the best baby store out there, with the specific purpose of finding bibs that covered EVERYTHING. Elliot has recently decided that baby food from the jar is no longer cool; he wants to feed himself. This presents a problem since there are only so many foods he is capable of eating. So now it is a complete disaster when he eats. A pear? He squishes it all over himself.
So I moseyed on over to Babies R Us, knowing that they would have covering bibs. The only covering bib was this one, the butterfly smock. When I asked one of the store workers if there was baby boy bibs like this one, she told me (very unsympathetically, by the way) that there were just more girl bibs than boys'; that's just how the shipments came in.
Now why, I ask you, would there be more girl bibs than boys'? Aren't boys supposedly more messy than girls? So Babies R Us, I'm deeply disappointed. You've also fallen into the retailers' trap of gender biases.
So I bought the butterfly smock, as you can see. Only for in-house wear. The kid has to have something. I'm tired of going through 3 outfits a day.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!
You are the best writer. You should really be a journalist or novelist. I love your frankness. Why is there a gender bias? I mean, come on! Although, Elliot does look pretty good in that butterfly smock. I can't wait to see you in November! Just five more weeks and I'm yours!

Joe said...

I love that little face!

Mary said...

Poor Elliot. He's just about the most adorable thing on this planet though.

Have you tried looking online for a boyish smock? EBay has everything . . .

Tara Jane said...

These are the best bibs/ smocks. You can just throw them in the wash.
http://www.bumkins.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=49

I totally hear you on the girl to boy options ratio and on the sports themed gear, ugh. I like to go with bright colors and overalls are pretty darn cute on boys.

Gregorio Carlo said...

Elliot may not be able to say what he thinks yet. But his expressions speak volumes. And you can see clearly what's on his little mind.
He and Dottie are special spirits.

Brandon and Natalie said...

That post is too funny! It is very true that there is a whole much more girl clothes then boys. It is very frustrating; especially when I try to find coordinating outfits.