Monday, January 05, 2009

Where are you, Christmas?


I'm always so sad when Christmas is over. Why can't it last two months, December and January? Why do I need to take down my decorations? Why can't I eat like that all year 'round? Why can't I get gifts every day? Why isn't there good music like Christmas music for the rest of the year?
I know it can't be Christmas all year, but can't it just be a little bit longer?
I'm posting on the blog this morning, the day after I got back from Utah, before doing anything else. I have yet to unpack, bathe, get dressed, or even eat breakfast. I wish I could say the reason is because I'm a dedicated blogger, but the real reason is because I want to hold on to Christmas just a little bit longer.
The picture, above, was taken this morning in front of our real Christmas tree. I was too sad about taking it down before we left, so when we got home, we found this pathetic, dried-out, prickly, dying tree. I guess this should be a sign to me that Christmas is really over. I will take down the tree, because I don't want pine needles everywhere, but I'm leaving up the rest of the decorations for a few more weeks. January has to be the most depressing month of the year. It needs a little Christmas cheer.

The following pictures I intended to post before leaving, but I never got around to it. Dottie and Elliot were allowed to open a few gifts that were too large to bring with us before we left for Utah. The last picture is of Dottie in her Christmas dress. You'd think I'd have one of her without the curlers, but no. You know me. I take the picture that's convenient, not the best quality.



6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I like the curlers. I have one of those curler pictures from when I was her age. In fact, I think I have more than one. I, too, feel the post-Christmas depression.

Lisa said...

glad you had a good christmas. i'm jealous that you got to see your parents. i haven't seen my dad in 2 years. we're going back to NY this july. can't wait! my blog is private now. i don't know if you have an invite to view it already, but i just emailed you an invite. Happy New Year! Did you do anything fun to ring in the new year?

Unknown said...

I agree! Billy and I were joking last night that we had nothing to look forward to until August. So sad. Looks like we will have to come up with our own little traditions to keep the winter from turning us into seasonal affective disordered housewives ;)

The Short Family said...

I usually want to leave my Christmas stuff up really late into January, but Jack was annoying me with the tree (hitting it and stealing ornaments) so we took our stuff down like the day after Christmas. I am glad you guys still get to have Christmas Cheer. Dottie is adorable in her Christmas dress.

Shambonies said...

oh the kids are so cute i miss christmas too!! Kenzie is still watching christmas movies and singing christmas songs..

Megan and Jeremy said...

Charlotte! How did you find us?! I'm so glad you did. I must say after looking at pictures of your family for the last 10 minutes you have two of the cutest kids ever. Adorable.

I had forgotten about the dustpan...how embarrassing :P

You'll have to tell us about Colorado Springs sometime because that's one of the places we have thought would be fun to end up. You guys look great!