Friends, if you're having a hard time finding something to be thankful for, be thankful for the internet. I have now been without the internet for two weeks, and it has been a sore trial. I am so excited to be "online" again, wow. You have no idea.
Anyway, how are we? We are good. Adjusting. We were in temporary housing for five days, and we officially moved into our house on November 6th, ten days earlier than planned. I'll spare you all of the rigmarole we've gone through with moving. But we were very grateful to get into the house early. The house is good; not perfect, but it suits our needs. We are happy to be close to Joe's work, and to have all of the perks of military life at an arm's length.
We are mostly unpacked, the neighbors are nice, and there is definitely a safe feeling here that I haven't felt since my childhood. Kids are always running around outside. I like that. Once we're more adapted, I'm sure Dottie will be out there with the rest of the gang.
The kids are okay. Both of them are ecstatic to be with Joe again, especially Dottie. Her qualms seem mostly soothed since being with her Daddy again. Elliot . . . has struggled with the new place. He just started taking naps again yesterday, but has entered a new phase of naughtiness with the diaper. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but he became a diaper digger during naptime this summer. We had to put him in button-up PJs to avoid a poo mess. Well, he now knows how to get into the button-ups. So, I took some advice from a cousin and duct-taped the top of the pajamas. Guess what? He can get the duct-tape off too. PLEASE if you have any suggestions, I sure could use some help.
So that's where we're at right now: settling in, trying to make some friends (oh, we have Filipino neighbors. Joe's pretty psyched about that), avoiding distaster with Elliot. We miss our family and friends in PA! Texas seems very nice so far. San Antonio is a shockingly large city. I'm a little scared of the freeway system. It's kinda crazy. But . . . I'll adapt. We're loving the 70-80 degree weather every day. We make frequent trips to the playground.
Oh, and my favorite part about living on base? The commissary! Wow~ what good deals! The bargain hunter inside of me is very pleased. Come and visit me, and I'll take you to this spectacularly cheap grocery store. And to the Alamo too, if the grocery store doesn't excite you enough.
Anyway, how are we? We are good. Adjusting. We were in temporary housing for five days, and we officially moved into our house on November 6th, ten days earlier than planned. I'll spare you all of the rigmarole we've gone through with moving. But we were very grateful to get into the house early. The house is good; not perfect, but it suits our needs. We are happy to be close to Joe's work, and to have all of the perks of military life at an arm's length.
We are mostly unpacked, the neighbors are nice, and there is definitely a safe feeling here that I haven't felt since my childhood. Kids are always running around outside. I like that. Once we're more adapted, I'm sure Dottie will be out there with the rest of the gang.
The kids are okay. Both of them are ecstatic to be with Joe again, especially Dottie. Her qualms seem mostly soothed since being with her Daddy again. Elliot . . . has struggled with the new place. He just started taking naps again yesterday, but has entered a new phase of naughtiness with the diaper. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but he became a diaper digger during naptime this summer. We had to put him in button-up PJs to avoid a poo mess. Well, he now knows how to get into the button-ups. So, I took some advice from a cousin and duct-taped the top of the pajamas. Guess what? He can get the duct-tape off too. PLEASE if you have any suggestions, I sure could use some help.
So that's where we're at right now: settling in, trying to make some friends (oh, we have Filipino neighbors. Joe's pretty psyched about that), avoiding distaster with Elliot. We miss our family and friends in PA! Texas seems very nice so far. San Antonio is a shockingly large city. I'm a little scared of the freeway system. It's kinda crazy. But . . . I'll adapt. We're loving the 70-80 degree weather every day. We make frequent trips to the playground.
Oh, and my favorite part about living on base? The commissary! Wow~ what good deals! The bargain hunter inside of me is very pleased. Come and visit me, and I'll take you to this spectacularly cheap grocery store. And to the Alamo too, if the grocery store doesn't excite you enough.
6 comments:
I shouldn't laugh, but all that about Eliot had me in stitches. Luckily Peter has discovered no such skills! *knock on wood*
How about his pjs on backwards? And, super glad you made it to TX!!
You're brilliant, Adrianne. Why didn't I think of pjs on backwards? We'll see how it goes, but I think this may be the key.
Glad you guys made it safely. Chloe still looks for Elliot in nursery every Sunday, she misses him.
Hi Charlotte:
We were delighted with the pictures of y'all in San Antonio, and we're dying to visit you there. But since we just used up all of our skymiles to book a flight to Elmira, NY, Dec. 28, we'll just have to visit you in Towanda between Christmas and New Years. We talked to your mom this morning on the phone. Can's wait to see you! We're currently researching nice, cheap Towanda motels.
Love,
Lynne and Laurie
Je suis jalox. Shorts and flip flops with the sun shinning while walking the river walk and visiting the Alamo. I am so glad that you are settling in and I am sure that all the kinks will work themself out in time. I am excited for you about the commisary store. Sounds like a good thing you got there. Thanksgiving will be affordable. Miss you soo much and give Dottie and Elliott a hug for me.
Post a Comment