Monday, July 02, 2012

The end of an era

On Saturday, our best friends, the McCombs, moved to Colorado Springs . This was our first super duper good friends that have moved.  I cried a lot. I don't know how you deal in the military, making great friends, and then you or them move away. In the past, I've always been the one moving, having the new place to look forward to, but it is something completely different to be the one left behind. 

It felt like saying goodbye to my college roommates all over again. Anya and I were both crying, saying how much we loved and appreciated each other. After they left, Joe took me  and the kids for a walk, in our pajamas.  I was pretty inconsolable.  I remember saying unreasonable things like, "I hate San Antonio. I just don't want to live here anymore." Joe reminded me I still have friends here(and although I will never love San Antonio, hate is a strong word).

This was our farewell feast, a 37 inch pizza from Big Lou's.  It's featured on Man vs. Food.  Our friend Brooke, Joe McCombs'  dental assistant, helped us out. She's just as sad as me. We've been consoling each other.

Have I mentioned that the McCombs lived with us this last week? They sold their house and have been living in a hotel on base for the past month. Then, they got bed bugs. Then, they tried another hotel. Anya called me, desperate one night, asking if she could come and stay. Of course! I wish they would have stayed with us the whole time.

Somehow, they didn't get sick of each other! They still came over every day when they were in the hotel. Anya watched the kids while I went to radiation. By the way, I only have 5 sessions left!

The girls have this song, "Best Friends Forever, BFFF," that they made up. An extra F is added for the extra friend. These girls now have 3 best friend necklaces that they have acquired this past year. Now that is true friendship: having 3 necklaces. Anya gave me a best friend bracelet to celebrate our friendship. Now all I need is her picture in the locket.

We love you McCombs! We can't wait to see you in August!

5 comments:

Tabitha said...

I feel for you Charlotte! I hate goodbyes- it seems like the second we start to become friends with someone in our ward they move away...But I'm just glad to have family because they are our constant friends (even if we do live far away:( but hey- we are so excited to see you guys in August!!!

Gregorio Carlo said...

Maybe you will find some way in the future to get back with your BFFFs.

Glad to hear you will be done soon with radiation.

Look forward to seeing you guys soon.

And maybe we will have the thrill of catching some live wild peanutbutter-hungry animals that roam through our back yard!

Love,
Dad.

Roberta said...

We can hardly wait to see you all when you come to Towanda too! Love, hugs and prayers always! Bobbie

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you are sad Char, but I am truly happy you were able to make such a good friend. It's hard to make friends when you're a mom with mom-responsibilities, yet you beat the odds and made a lifetime friend! "Beat the odds" isn't accurate though, cause we all know you were able to make such a close friend because you are such a good friend yourself. I love you too pieces.

Bryan said...

I'm so glad you had that family in your life! I've never met them, but I've heard all about them and know they were a blessing to you.

The kids are looking so grown up! We're getting so excited to see you guys and you getting to meet our Gracie!