Thursday, September 19, 2013

Guy Fawkes Day and Halloween


 So maybe we celebrate our holidays a little early. Guy Fawkes Day, a British holiday celebrating Parliament NOT getting blown up by Guy Fawkes and his comrades in opposition to King James I, is really November 5th. But we learned about it last week in school, so we had to have a party on Saturday. Why? Because on Guy Fawkes Day, also known as Bonfire Night, you get to burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes. Usually it's a straw man thrown onto the bonfire. We opted to make marshmallow men, and then turn them into smores. When you think about it, it's a more gruesome ending to poor Guy Fawkes, but I think that was over most of the children's heads. They were just happy to be having smores. We also had some traditional English pottage, yummy bread, and, salad, and parkin, a bready molassey cake. We also watched a short video about Guy Fawkes and colored worksheets.
Elliot and his exploding smore.

The roasters lined up at the grill.

I love this little boy.
Evelyn's marshmallow man.




The girlfriend, remember?

And pictures from the school week. After church on Sunday, Ruby tried to fit into this dollhouse.

Today at lunch. This is really Ruby every meal. She wins messiest child award.

Dottie turned her toy/book armoire into a reading nook.

Vinegar and baking soda experiment.

This is when we used lemon juice in place of vinegar. We thought it would pop off the balloon!

Guess who pooped on the potty? This girl!!

I'm so grateful that I am doing better this fall compared to last fall. Last year, I couldn't even put up decorations. So it was nice to celebrate the fall this year! The kids were very excited!


My little turkeys' hands.


Mom, this witch is still going strong, despite the damage when it was originally sent, remember?

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

Love the decorations! And Guy Fawkes s'mores.

Joe said...

Proud of my Ruby and the wonderful teacher Mama!

Jessica Clark said...

How fun! I really like when you blog especially when I get to learn about stuff I never knew like the English Parliament-Guy history...interesting. AND now I want a smore hehe

Helynne said...

What a lot of great ideas you come up with! Who would have thought of turning Guy Fawkes into a fun day!?!?

Unknown said...

Awww I love your family. You're such a good mom, Char. I want to be a kid in your family, will you adopt me? I love your Halloween decorations. And those little turkey hands are so dang cute. I think you should make a pair for you and Joe too...

Roberta said...

What a fun Guy Fawkes day! I'm going to have to remember it next year!

Roberta said...

Love the framed turkey hands! And everything else too!