Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Charlotte the Bargain Hunter

I'll admit it: I am a bargain hunter. I don't know if it's a genetic thing, but my mom is too. I've become even more extreme now that I have children, my husband's finishing his master's, and we are a one-income household on a teacher's salary. We basically don't buy anything that's not on sale.

I thought I'd share some of my knowledge with you. The most obvious is searching the weekly ads. All kinds of deals are to be had this way. Getting the paper is definitely worth it's weight in gold. And people who say that coupon clipping isn't worth it are crazy! I save only about $4 with coupons each time I shop, but I shop once a week. So that's $16 a month, making a total savings of $196 a year. That's a lot!

Now for the websites. Reader's Digest had articles on saving money in the September and October issues. They were so good I saved them. Here are a few of the websites I learned about from them:

thriftyfun.com: all kinds of useful tips on saving money. If we ever got into a Great Depression again, this would be the website to go to to learn how to scrimp on everything.

retailmenot.com: This is my favorite website! You type in any retail website you can think of (amazon.com, even redlobster.com) and it will come up with discount codes for purchases, or even helpful hints on saving money from these retailers. It's an awesome site. Check it out.

Now for the Black Friday information. Hopefully you're still reading at this point. Black Friday is the day when I do the majority of my shopping. The deals are incredible. Well, I saw on the Today Show this morning that you can see the circulars to some of the stores now for the Black Friday deals instead of waiting until Thanksgiving! Here are the websites that will tell you all about the Black Friday deals: bradsdeals.com and blackfriday.com. I've already got my list started on what stores I'm going to, what I'm going to buy, and who I'm going to buy it for.

Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

Helynne said...

Hi Charlotte:

Great comments! I have the same Reader's Digest articles on savings websites torn out and saved, but I haven't used any of their ideas yet. Now, I'm inspired. Incidentally, we love Elliot's new buzz and Dottie song!
Love,
Lynne and Laurie

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tips about bradsdeals! I can't wait for Black Friday!!