Thursday, January 22, 2009

My man's gone now . . .

The title of this post comes from a Gershwin song from the musical "Porgy and Bess." The lyrics go: "My man's gone now/Ain't no use in listenin'/for his tired footsteps/comin' down the stairs."

It's really a sad, mournful song. And it describes perfectly how I'm feeling/felt for the past while.

My husband left me last weekend alone with the children for a conducting symposium. One weekend, I can handle that.

But he's leaving me AGAIN this weekend. And not just the weekend, but on Monday too. I already feel my sanity slipping from me because of illness confinement (again). I seriously hope I don't lose my mind, alone with no break. And this includes taking the kids to Church by myself. Which can be quite the wrestling match.

I'm happy that Joe is furthering his career (this weekend is another career-building opportunity), but what about my sanity? I told him he owes me a long romantic getaway, sometime in the very near future.


This is me, right now, making my angry face. It's one of those moments where I'm asking myself, "Why did I have children?"

This is me in the future, at the end of 3.5 days alone with my kids, stressed to the max. Hopefully, this will not really happen. I have friends who will take care of me. But still . . . bedtime, church, meal time, kids waking up in the middle of the night . . . scary.


But hey! Onto happier thoughts. Elliot's hair grows incredibly fast. I'm too lazy to cut it. So I've decided lately to go with the spike. Here is Elliot post-bath, with the spike. You like?



6 comments:

Amanda+Jonathan said...

Those are scary faces. I wonder, after reading a post like this one, do your really think it's a good idea for me to have kids... Let's talk this weekend. My husband will be out of town too, and I've been super sick. blah.

Carolyn said...

hey gf!
I really like the first picture. I wish I could be there to console you in your time of need. Good luck! p.s. I think Elliot is adorable with a spike.

The Short Family said...

You are too cute! I would be frustrated too. It is nice when the men come home to help out and be our stress relief. Good Luck this weekend!

Mary said...

Hey Char-Bar. I'm sorry it's been tough. I don't know if Joey's told you, but Jesse and I are planning on visiting you guys March 19-22. I know it's still a ways a way, but we'd be happy to watch my darling niecey and nephy-poo for a day or night so you two can have a mini romantic get-away. Hang in there. Just know you are an incredible mom!

Unknown said...

Charlotte. I love this face. It makes me want you to never leave my side. Ever.

Tara Jane said...

I think next weekend you need to take an afternoon for yourself. I have been thinking about doing that for myself for a while. My out, babes in the crib and bedroom, Mom in the shower, 5 minutes...it helps sometimes. GL, breath.