Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Whose birthday is it anyway?

Today my baby Elliot turned one! It really seems unfathomable to me. I feel like more of a neglectful parent with my second. With Dottie, I poured over "What to Expect During the First Year," making sure I was doing everything right, and that she was developing at the correct pace.

However, with Elliot, I don't even know where that book is. I just do it. The parenting, I mean. Hopefully he'll turn out okay? On Dottie's first birthday, it was the first time she had had refined sugar. For Elliot, cake and ice cream was old hat. Nothing new. I just feed him what I'm eating to keep him happy.

But we love our little guy. We kept the birthday party very low-key. Em and Craig came down on the weekend, and I just got him a few very simple gifts (since it was just Christmas. Plus, all of the stores are wiped out of the good toys because of Christmas). I think Dottie was more excited about the gifts than he was. Hence the title: "Whose birthday is it anyway?" Em and Craig got him this fun Little People farm toy, and Dottie was yelling at him any time he attempted to come near it. That little boy sure is patient with his big sister. I'm hoping it will stay that way.


The cake. Since he's only one and doesn't really care, I decided to make something I've always wanted to try: Baked Alaska. It was really a soupy mess, but it tasted good.




Still holding the spoon. He was pretty excited we gave him one.



See? Dottie taking over the gift already.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love little uchie! He's so cute. We'll have to make baked alaska for my birthday. Since you are always there for it. You're the best!

Gregorio Carlo said...

A big happy birthday to Elliot ! That's a neat spoon.

Unknown said...

What an awesome little boy. Charlotte, he is just beautiful. I love his big blue eyes.

I love the picture of him holding the toy screwdriver. I probably have ten pictures of the same thing with Liam. It's so fun to see how they really know their gender roles, even at these age. New psychology schmology, some things are innate.

Megan and Jeremy said...

Happy Birthday Elliot! Our babies are the same age...how fun is that! So I love blog stalking and I often find myself on people's blogs that I have no idea who they are or how I got there but it's so fun.

Your post made me laugh! I have been the same with my first and second kids. With my oldest I was determined he wouldn't ever eat dessert until he was like 10 years old or something and I half expected him to go into shock on his birthday when he had sugar for the first time. Hunter has been having treats for a while now. It's nice this way!

How old is your little girl? My oldest is turning 3 on Monday.