Friday, September 04, 2009

The Bounty of the Earth

My dad plants a garden every year. I've missed this garden since I've moved away from home. We were reaping the fruits of the garden before our trip to Utah, but when we came home, it was a little out of control. This is what we saw:
Those plants behind Dottie are all weeds. The weeds are mostly taller than me.
The corn's just as high as an elephant's eye . . .
Dottie's touching one of the many pumpkins in the garden. Several are already jack-o-lantern ready.
If you glance over Dottie's shoulder, you'll see a variety of enormous squash. The zucchini and crookneck got particularly large while we were gone.

So, every day since I've been home, I go out to the garden for a half hour or so, fighting the weeds, searching for life. I've found plenty. The green peppers are the largest I've ever seen, there's a bounty of basil for me to make pesto with, and the tomatoes are beautiful. We've had delicious meals from this garden.
While I'm out picking, the kids play on the rusty old swing set. We really are becoming more rustic every day we stay in Towanda.

2 comments:

FeistyHistoryGal said...

Robert's 4 year old nephew doesn't share well at all! SO, one day Robert's sister took all of Jackson's toys away, ALL of them. Every time he did something nice to his brother he received one toy. It took a good month to get all of his toys back. I thought this was funny!!

Carolyn said...

That is such a great idea! But the garden, holy cow! I wish I could wrestle the weeds with you, char. I miss the home grown goodies.