Thursday, March 03, 2011

Surviving Motherhood



It's funny how you forget what it's like to have a newborn. Up until the past few days, I have had help nonstop from another adult. Wow, what a difference that makes. Elliot has been entertained, Ruby has been held all of the time, I was getting enough sleep, everyone was happy. Of course there are the normal crazy behaviors that happen when a new baby is born: children waking up at 5:30 for the first two weeks, children wetting the bed and pooing their pants. But that's to be expected. When you have someone else always there, you can cope with these kind of things.

But now, it's me alone most of the day. I'm realizing now that I've spoiled Ruby, and it's not such a good thing. She's been held most of the time that she's sleeping, so now she expects that. She also has woken up more in the past week, so I have to now use soothing techniques to get her to sleep. And then there's the difficulties of doing normal every day things: eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, getting yourself dressed. Not to mention entertaining Elliot.

So I've been really grateful for the Moby, one of those wrap things that helps me do what I need to do during the day. Ruby sleeps in it. She has to be almost asleep for it to work; otherwise she screams. But once she's in it, she'll be out for a few hours. Then I can do things like put up a tent for Elliot. Or eat breakfast.

So my new goal is to get this baby in a routine, so I can be in a routine again. It's hard to teach piano and go to Young Women's when your baby has no routine. I keep on thinking back to the time before, when Elliot was born. It was so much worse. Ruby sleeps most of the night, only waking every 3-5 hours to nurse. Elliot, on the otherhand, had to nurse every 2 hours in addition to me checking his oxygen levels and giving him albuterol treatments due to the RSV. I don't know how I survived. I just remember reading the book, Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy by Richard G. Scott. That book really helped me. I need to spiritually fortify myself to make it through the infant stage. Then, hopefully, when I come through it, I'll have a happy, well-adjusted baby. And that will make me happy and well-adjusted.

Ruby in the Moby. So happy.



Elliot in his tent.

7 comments:

Morgan said...

Oh Charlotte, you're my heroine. Even when you say motherhood is hard, I almost don't believe you cause you're just so dang good at it! I'm sure Amanda and I will be intruding on your limited time quite a bit in the next year to pick your brain.

It was lovely to talk to you today. those little moments are precious to me. :)

Loves to all the kiddies!

Dolores Weed said...

Love my little grandchildren! I miss them terribly!

Carolyn said...

I love you! It was good to talk to you today, too! Elliot is adorable, and Ruby looks like a little joey in her mama's pouch. (not your husband; the kangaroo)

Unknown said...

Your children are seriously so beautiful. I love Ruby's little chubby cheeks.

Newborns are hard, especially number three. I think that is why a lot of families seem to stop at three these days. Usually by then you have both a boy and a girl, you're in your thirties, and you fill up a regular size car.

But anyways, what I meant to say is how much I completely attest to putting a baby on a schedule. I am quite possibly the worst person at doing this this, but I've started to try really hard with Wren and it's helped a lot. She is so much happier, I am so much happier, and she is now sleeping 12 hours a night. I feel like a braggert saying that. But it's not me, its the schedule.

Michelle said...

Here I am stressing about how I am going to cope with only having 2 Children and you are doing it with 3. I am super impressed Char. It's nice to know other people have the same worries as I do ;)

Roberta said...

Way to go Charlotte! You amazing mommy! Hugs to all! I love Ruby in the little pouch....Elliot looks so grown up! How is the "Fairy Princess" doing too? I'm sure she loves kindergarten! Hugs and love to all!

Mary said...

Amen to establishing a routine. Jory is six months old and I am working on that. Whoops. I can also relate to having a child spoiled but only sleeping in someone's arms. (Luckily he is now cured of that). I can only imagine how difficult it is when you have two other kids. You are such a good mom Char-Bar.