Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving, and we're moving??

 This move has really snuck up on us. I don't know if it's the holidays, homeschooling, the demands of Young Women's, or what, but we're totally unprepared. I haven't even started packing. Joe has a little, but he usually ends up unpacking the box he packed because it has things I still need in it. Normally, the military would move us, but because this is a deployment followed by a move, we're putting our stuff in storage and then the movers will come to the storage unit, repack it, and then move it. Yeah. So no point in doing a super great job packing.

Anyway. I digress. Thanksgiving. We had Joe's new boss over that just moved here.  It was great. He's from Puerto Rico, she's from Serbia, so they brought some yummy homeland dishes.  While I was busy baking, Dottie created her own Thanksgiving feast in her bedroom:


 I made mother's rolls (that's what they're really called...plus, I did learn the recipe from my mama). The kids helped me roll them.  They turned out perfectly. I really got good at making these rolls a few years back when I was extremely pregnant with Ruby and I made rolls every night for a week for a fundraiser for the Young Women to go to camp.  Oh, the things I have done for those girls.
 Ruby was "helping" make the relish tray.
This little girl has become quite the avid cook.  She always wants to help. I thought of a good task for her this night. As I cut the vegetables, I put them in a little bowl, and she dumped them in the pan. Helping, but no risk of losing fingers.  However, I shouldn't brag too much. About five minutes later, I discovered that she had been spooning these vegetables in the silverware drawer that's at her waist. Ah. Oh well. I won't squelch her spirit.

3 comments:

Gregorio Carlo said...

Your blog postings brighten my spirit. How grateful we are that you have overcome many obstacles physically and now spread your joy to us and to your family. A tender mercy not to mention miracle !
Sweet children!

Dolores Weed said...

I love Dottie's pretending with her Barbies. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! I'm glad the kids are learning to make Mother's Rolls and relish trays. Seeing them brightens my day!

Roberta said...

Love your blog and all the comments! We thought of you, Charlotte and olives on the fingers on Thanksgiving.