Friday, September 04, 2009

Jar O' Slumber Party


Confession: My children have behavioral problems. They have been magnified since we've moved. These are the problems: tantrums (Elliot), "I want to go home" comments (Dottie), incessant bickering (tripping, kicking, hitting, taking toys: mostly Dottie to Elliot, although he now fights back). I've been beside myself with what to do, how to make it stop. I've prayed, received words of wisdom from others, tried to control my own temper better, etc. Time out has worked to some extent. Dottie will be repentant for awhile afterwards, but then the cycle will start again.

Last night, however, I think I got some inspiration on what to do. I read Dottie her current favorite book before bedtime:

Now, the concept of "Slumber Party" is somewhat cloudy in Dottie's four-year-old mind. She knows that there's popcorn and soda at slumber parties because of this book, but that's about all. So, as I read this book last night, she asked me if she could have a slumber party. Now the wheels started turning in my mind. "Slumber Party?" I replied. "Sure, Dottie. But you have to start being nice to Elliot. We're going to have a slumber party jar. I have ten marbles. Everytime you do something nice for Elliot, a marble goes in the jar. Everytime you do something mean to Elliot, a marble comes out of the jar. Once you get ten marbles, you can have a slumber party with me and Grandma." Our slumber party will consist of staying up a little past her bedtime, eating popcorn and drinking soda.

Brilliant? I think so. Granted I stole the jar idea from my third grade teacher and Primary. But I think it may work on my daughter. Let's hope so. Otherwise, I may have a nervous breakdown. I'll let you know when the slumber party happens.


Elliot thinks the jar is a great idea.

Dottie and her jar.

5 comments:

Morgan said...

You're such the perfect little mommy. You're children are precious even if they drive you mad. Love you!

Mary said...

Brilliant! Way to use that operative conditioning! You are such a good mom.

Carolyn said...

Those Bernstein bear books are really Dottie and Elliot. Good Work, char!

Michelle said...

smart, smart mommmy.

Roberta said...

What a great idea! Bet they'll have alot of fun! Hugs to everybody!